The seaport town of Seattle, Washington is the largest city in the Pacific Northwest. What was once a tiny settlement founded on the eastern shore of Elliot Bay is now one of the fastest-growing cities in the U.S. The population of the greater Seattle area now stands at close to 4 million, making it the 15 largest metropolis in the nation. Situated on an isthmus between Puget Sound and Lake Washington, Seattle is the fourth-largest port in North America and a gateway for trade with Asia.
Named in honor of Chief Si’ahl of the Duwamish and Suquamish tribes in 1852, Seattle currently has a diverse population. The Seattle metropolitan area has also become a well-established technology hub, home to Microsoft and internet retailer Amazon, as well as a center for aircraft manufacturing, anchored by The Boeing Company. With such a solid economic base, the Seattle area boasts countless employment opportunities.
At the same time, many workers in the region and throughout the state of Washington often face difficult workplace challenges — discrimination, harassment, unequal pay, retaliation, and wrongful termination. If you live or work in the greater Seattle area and are facing an employment issue, you should contact Sapphire Legal, PLLC for guidance and advice.
We provide clients in Seattle and throughout the state of Washington with first-rate representation and cost-effective service. If you believe your employment rights have been violated, we will take the time to listen to your story and explore all of your options. Knowing that bringing a claim against an employer is daunting, we will offer you trustworthy advice and objective insights so that you can make the best decisions for your future.
While we believe employment-related disputes are best resolved through negotiations, we have extensive experience trying such cases in state and federal courts. Above all, we will always put your best interests first and work tenaciously to protect your rights.
Seattle Employment Law Firm
Kristi Favard is highly regarded as a knowledgeable, compassionate employment law attorney, having served the Seattle community with distinction for over 15 years. She founded Sapphire Legal to help individuals stand up for their civil rights and fight back against unfair and unlawful treatment in the workplace. Our legal team is well-versed in all aspects of Seattle employment law, including:
- Employment agreement reviews — Today, employers often require new hires and employees to sign an employment agreement which clarifies the nature of the employer-employee relationship and typically contains non-compete, non-disclosure and severance components. Before you sign anything, having an experienced employment lawyer review the agreement could mean the difference between preserving your interests and forfeiting your employment rights, including future employment opportunities.
- Employee benefit claims — While many employees are granted a variety of benefits as a condition of employment, such as employer-sponsored health insurance, retirement plans — 401(k)s, short-term disability, long-term disability, sick days, holidays, paid time off, profit-sharing plans, and stock options — obtaining the full value of these benefits can be challenging. Whether your employer has denied your request for a disability accommodation or failed to pay you for unused vacation time, or an insurance carrier failed to honor a long-term disability claim, the employment law attorneys at Sapphire Legal can help.
- Employment discrimination — All workers in Seattle are protected from workplace discrimination by local, state, and federal law, however, employees are frequently treated unfairly due to their race, color, ethicity, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other protected characteristics. At Sapphire Legal, we are dedicated to rooting out workplace discrimination in all its forms and ensuring that our clients are justly compensated for any discriminatory treatment they may have endured.
- Sexual harassment — We believe that everyone has a right to a workplace free from sexual harassment, which is an unlawful form of sex discrimination. Despite the greater awareness of sexual harassment ushered in by the #MeToo movement, many workers in Seattle continue to be subjected to unwanted sexual advances or conduct that creates an offensive, intimidating, or hostile environment. Knowing how difficult it can be to speak out against workplace harassment, our employment law practice is dedicated to giving victims of sexual harassment a voice.
- Unemployment appeals and union grievances — Workers who are fired or laid off may have access to unemployment benefits, however, it is not uncommon for employers to attempt to block unemployment claims. If you have been terminated through no fault of your own and your unemployment benefits have been denied, our legal team will help you navigate an unemployment appeal. Well-versed in state and federal labor laws, we also represent clients through all phases of the union grievance process, including arbitration.
- Workplace retaliation — It is unlawful for an employer to terminate or take any adverse employment action (demotion, pay cut, change of assignment, negative performance review) against an employee who asserts a legal right. If you were fired or treated unfairly for complaining about discrimination or harassment or for reporting illegal conduct on the part of your employer, retaliation may be a legal basis for a lawsuit.
- Wrongful termination — Because Washington is an at-will state, an employee can be fired at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all; however. an employee cannot be terminated for a discriminatory reason. One common reason for wrongful termination lawsuits in Washington’s tech industry is age discrimination, as older workers are frequently phased out and replaced by younger workers. At Sapphire Legal, we have a proven track record of achieving successful outcomes in wrongful termination lawsuits.
Contact Our Seattle Employment Law Attorney
If you have been subjected to employment discrimination or sexual harassment in the workplace, or if you have been the victim of employment retaliation or wrongful termination, local, state and federal laws provide you with powerful legal remedies. Regardless of the employment-related dispute you are facing, Sapphire Legal, PLLC can help you protect your rights. When your future and your livelihood are on the line, we will stand by your side and fight to help you obtain the compensation and respect that you deserve. Please contact our office today so we can assist you in protecting your rights in employment.